Thursday, February 21, 2008

A placed called "home"

It's slowly approaching upon two years since I detatched myself from the hometown I had always know. San Diego had served me quite well, and since I'm no longer there - I look upon it quite fondly in many ways.

Though, as many of you know, I have since moved to the wonderful Long Beach, California. Sure, if you've listened to early 90's rap (think, Warren G and Snoop Dogg) you might have some preconceived notions of what this city means. I know I did.

But, as a city who is tied for #1 (with San Jose) for their current efforts towards recycling and composting, a city whose harbors supply the demand of nation, and who's people are as diverse as a food connesiour's food palate can be, I have enjoyed calling this "home," for awhile.

There's a grit to the city, a worn in feel. And certainly, there's history.

One examples of that history is how Long Beach (and one it's sub-communties called Lakewood) had gone about naming their streets years ago. Mine is one such example. And since you should well know I'm a huge fan of NPR, I'm going to give them the credit and let their words speak on the history of the street I call home:

Before the Internet, before TV, the medium of choice for most Americans was radio. D.J. Waldie, author of "California Romantica," says you can find some of the stars of radio on Lakewood's street signs. Waldie says a small portion of Lakewood, developed during the Second World War was called Radio Park.

"Because so many of the streets had connections to radio personalities. There's an Autry Avenue..."

As in Gene Autry. The singing cowboy from Texas starred in almost a hundred movie westerns. But from 1940 to 1956, the Autry was host of a national radio show: "Melody Ranch." In later years, Autry left his mark in Southern California broadcasting, owning KMPC, KTLA, and the Angels baseball team.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ingrid said...

Somebody needs a new home blog. :D Welcome to Argonne.

8:28 PM

 
Blogger Pastor Seth said...

One year...

9:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home